Geography 2.0: Virtual Globes

AAG2007 Virtual Globes Logo

Thursday, August 17, 2006

KML mobile and Photosynth for indoors

As usual, the blog train rolls on: this blog posted about an entry on this blog and now you're reading it here. Anyway, the point is that Google Maps for Mobile now supports KML (link).

Changing topics
Concerning Photosynth, one interesting avenue may be the inside of buildings. As I ate lunch today, I thought about some work I did on 3D cave mapping in 1999. It involved me taking images and survey data to create 3D walkthroughs (side note: the old webpage about the project is still online at my former university). The thing that struck me is that years later, collection and organization of multiple data sources for the inside of real places has not seemed to change that much. Photosynth seems particularly appropriate. Eventually, we can start talking accuracy...